Chocolate Fudge Cake
Moist, rich chocolate fudge cake recipe. Check out the tips, step-by-step photos, and frosting suggestions above the recipe.
PREP TIME : 15 minutes
COOK TIME : 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME : 40 minutes
COURSE : Dessert
CUISINE : American
KEYWORD : chocolate cake
SERVINGS : 12 servings
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1cup brown sugar packed
- 3large eggs
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon kosher salt*
- 1cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.** Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and sugars together until combined. It will look like wet sand.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in the warm water just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out with a few fudgy crumbs attached.
- Place the pans on a wire cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of each cake to loosen it from the pan, and then invert the cakes onto the rack. I like to lightly spray the cooling rack with nonstick spray to keep the cake from sticking.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
*Or 1/2 teaspoon table salt.
**I like to use a nonstick baking spray that has flour in it.
***Looking for frostings to pair with this cake? Check out the suggestions above the recipe.