Chicken Enchiladas and Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Delicious chicken enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce.
- Course: Main Course, Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Keyword: chicken enchiladas, enchiladas, homemade enchilada sauce
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 12 enchiladas
- 3 C shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 C shredded cheddar cheese or a combination of cheddar and jack cheese
- 2-3 C enchilada sauce canned or homemade
- 1 can chopped green chiles drained
- 1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion minced
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 – 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 C water
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the shredded chicken with 2 cups of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, chilies and cilantro.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Soften the tortillas in the microwave by placing them on a paper towel covered plate and then plastic wrap on top. Microwave on high for 1 – 1/2 minutes, depending on how many tortillas you are softening at once.
- Instead of microwaving, I like to fry them lightly in some hot oil for about 5 seconds on each side. This will help the tortilla hold up better and not get mushy. Blot them between paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/4-1/3 cup of chicken mixture and roll up, placing seam side down into the pan.
- Pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled up enchiladas and add the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.